Diabetes Education Centres provide education, support, and assistance to people who have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes, type 1, type 2, or gestational diabetes. We offer services to people of all ages in both outpatient and inpatient settings.
It is our goal as a program to help people with diabetes understand their condition and live a balanced, healthy life free of complications.
Clinic and Service Locations
How do I book an appointment?
1. You must have diabetes to attend our clinic. A referral is required from a physician or other health care professional. If you do not have a family physician, a physician at a walk in clinic can refer you.
2. If you have been to one of our clinics in the last 10 years, you do not need a new referral. You are able to book an appointment by phoning the Diabetes Education Centre that you want to go to.
3. If you have had diabetes for a while, but are new to the island, you will still need a physician referral.
Wait times for appointments vary by location and urgency. We make every effort to see people as quickly as possible. For urgent concerns, please contact your physician. For quick questions, drop in services are available at some locations.
Cancelation and missed appointments
When you book an appointment the time is set aside for you and we expect that you will attend. If you choose not to come, or are unable to make it, please let us know 24 hours in advance. The appointment time can then be used for another person.
How to prepare for an appointment
The more you prepare for your appointment, the more you can learn!
Please consider bringing the following to your appointment:
- Your blood sugar monitor and logbook (if applicable)
- List of medications and supplements
- A three day food record
- List of questions, concerns and/or goals
- Other diabetes supplies as applicable
- Insulin prescription (if starting insulin)
- Notebook and a pen
You may bring a family member or support person to the appointment with you.
Please come to the Diabetes Centre early as parking can be a challenge at some of our clinics. Please be aware that there is a cost for parking.